Friday, June 6, 2014

Favorite Book Quotes.

I recently read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, if I had to choose my favorite quote from the novel it would have to be this quote from Augustus Waters to Hazel: "I'm in love with you and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you." I love this quote because it is from his heart. It elicits emotion from the reader and really makes every girl want to have a guy do this to her. Also, I love this quote because he refuses to deny his love for Hazel, in any situation. And very romantic of him to say to her.
Another one of my favorite quotes would be from Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck: “Guys like us, that work on ranches, are the loneliest guys in the world. They got no family. They don’t belong no place. . . . With us it ain’t like that. We got a future. We got somebody to talk to that gives a damn about us. We don’t have to sit in no bar room blowin’in our jack jus’ because we got no place else to go. If them other guys gets in jail they can rot for all anybody gives a damn. But not us.” This is more of a friendship quote. It is George reassuring his best friend Lennie that they have a special bond. I like this because George really watches out for Lennie and never denies their friendship. And even though things get tough they have each other.
Lastly one of my favorite books is The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch: “The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough.” It is such a powerful quote from his novel. I like how he teachers lessons in almost every line of the novel. The reason why this one is my favorite is because it shows the reader who will do what they need to succeed and who won’t, and who wants it more. Also that just because it seems like it is the end of a struggle, you always have to push a little more.

2 comments:

  1. I love when I'm reading a great novel and I come across an awesome quote! In the Fault In our Stars there were handfuls of beautiful quotes, but my favorite happened to be the one you chose as well! The way Augustus felt towards Hazel was something everyone deserves to feel at a point in their lives, especially someone with numbered days. He turned Hazels life upside down in the best way possible, giving her something to live for. Their love in the novel was written so powerfully, John Green did an amazing job portraying the characters. This quote not only pulls at the heartstrings, but also gives the reader hope that their life can only go up too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too loved the Last Lecture. I totally agree that the novel was full of inspirational and powerful quotes. Also this novel really does kind of push you to want to be better in life. Have a spectacular day. HAGS

    ReplyDelete